Tools I can't live (or work) without

There are some things that I have installed that I have to have now.  Let me enlighten you about my environment.  Step into my digital world:

The Machine:

image

I use Vista on a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T60.  A lot of people dog Vista (at work here, anyway).  I am willing to live with its shortcomings in order to put up with the benefits.

The Desktop:

image

I like my desktop clean and uncluttered.  No icons, no folders, no shortcuts, just some sidebar gadgets placed on the desktop.  You may notice that I have some tabs at the top of the left monitor, I'll get to that later.  Yes, that is a Mac wallpaper.  I use Display Fusion to make the wallpaper span both monitors, because I think that looks cleaner.  My desktop is quiet place, a serene place.

The Tabs:

The tabs are part of Object Desktop's ObjectDock Plus.  I use two docks, a tabbed one at the top and a hiding launcher at the bottom:

image

The tabbed dock at the top is fully customizable, you can add whatever tabs and whichever shortcuts you want.  They make starting commonly-used programs a breeze and add some nice eye candy.

The Switcher:

I use Bao's Switcher for Vista Aero a lot.  I find it much easier to use on multiple monitors and with many windows than the standard taskbar that ships with Vista:

image

Boom! Iconified, tiled windows!  It puts each application on the monitor it is open on.  I have been looking for this on a PC for quite some time now. 

The Music:

image

I use iTunes.  It's medeocre, as far as media players go, but it supports my iPod Touch, so I live with it.  I wish there was some way I import song data like I can with the competition's product.

No comments: