Tribute to a Maker* and a Tech Visionary

Design by Jonathan Mak jmak.tumblr.com


The news that Steve Jobs had passed away hit me a little harder than I thought it would. I knew it was coming- he looked more frail with each picture of him that I saw. I was still taken aback by the news.

As an aside, I wonder what my Scouts were thinking while I sat there and stared at my phone in silence, dumbfounded, after I saw the news (I was looking for a schedule online).

I don't really care for some of his company's products. I think they make pretty solid hardware, and you can't argue with the aesthetics and marketing, and even a lot of their software is cool. My only issue with their stuff is the "walled garden" approach that they take with everything: "You can't do that on the device that you own that we made because we don't want you to." And that's why I am an Android fan. But I digress....

Steve Jobs took a foundering company and turned it into the biggest consumer electronics company in the world, and arguably the most respected. He had a vision and knew where he wanted to take Apple and the computing world in general. You can see this even back in 1997 when he had just come back to Apple after a few years doing other things. Watch his WWDC Q&A session here. It's a long one, but it's neat to here him describing the ideas that started Apple's most successful devices and services.

Thanks for making the smartphone cool. Thanks for revolutionizing music consumption. Thanks for pervasive networking. Thanks for helping us connect to the people we love.

You'll be missed, Steve. You were and continue to be an inspiration to tech-heads everywhere. Thanks for having the courage to break the mold and shape the computing world into your vision of the future.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.


*Not in the Make.com sense, more the Alvin Maker sense

No comments: