The Dream

I had a dream last night. I think I dream more, or at least I remember my dreams more, when I get more sleep. I usually get 6 hours or so on weeknights, 7-8 on weekends, so it shouldn't surprise me that I had this dream on a Sunday night after going to sleep at 9:30.

I was at some sort of away location. My family was there, and I was concerned about them. They were not there in my immediate presence, but they were there somewhere, maybe in a nearby house or something. The thing that I was concerned with was my gun.

As an aside, "my gun" means my 1911. I see my .22 as more of a utilitarian tool, and my 870 is "my shotgun" but "my gun" definitely is my 1911.

I needed my gun. I don't know why I needed it, maybe for some kind of protection or something. I just know I needed it and I needed it loaded. I found it in an old barn-like building in the bad I usually keep it in, but everything in the bag was in disarray. Dirty, loose ammo rolling around in the bag, old mags everywhere. It looked like an old dirty tool bag that had been in the dirt for a couple of years. I got my gun out and proceeded to try and find a magazine, but I couldn't find one that would fit. There were a bunch of .22 mags from a Ruger or Browning-type pistol, which of course didn't fit. Then I saw what looked like some 10-rd mags for a 1911, but I couldn't make them fit, either. They kept mooshing when I would put them in, like they were made out of vinyl or soft plastic or something.

I pulled the mag out and looked at the ammo in the mag. The rounds were all dirty and corroded, and a bunch of the brass was mangled. It reminded me of the old brass we used to find outside in the desert at the Army base I used to live at (Ft. Irwin). I sat there feeling well and truly screwed at my predicament for a moment, then the sounds of the guitar form "The Godfather" woke me (that's my alarm ringtone).

A somewhat disconcerting dream. It kind of reminds me of the parable of the ten virgins, except instead of lamps there were guns, and instead of oil there was ammo/mags. And I definitely wasn't one of the prepared five. When the time to decide is at hand, the time to prepare has long since passed.

No comments: